Barrister-at-law, United States
Admit to the legal profession
Top Qualities of Great Lawyer
- Analytical Skills: A great lawyer has excellent analytical skills and is able to readily make sense of a large volume of information.
- Creativity: A great lawyer is creative and able to think of reasonable solutions when problems and unique situations arise.
- Research Skills: Preparing a legal strategy generally requires an extensive amount of research. Anyone involved in the legal profession should have excellent research skills to be able to find and comprehend pertinent information.
- Interpersonal Skills: Great lawyers and paralegals have excellent interpersonal skills and can develop trusting relationships with everyone they work with.
- Logical Thinking Ability: A great lawyer is able to think logically and make reasonable judgments and assumptions based on information presented.
- Perseverance: Those working in the legal profession must have perseverance. Often, cases require many hours of work with heavy research and lots of writing. A good lawyer or legal assistant must be willing to put in the time it takes to get the job done.
- Public Speaking Skills: A great lawyer has excellent public speaking skills and is comfortable addressing a courtroom. They can also easily handle speaking in front of other groups.
- Pursues Continuing Education: Great lawyers stay on top of developments in the legal field and also pursue continuing training. In fact, 48 states require lawyers to earn continuing education credits annually.
- Reading Comprehension Skills: Lawyers, paralegals, and other legal professionals should have strong reading comprehension skills to easily understand the complex information encountered in legal research and documents.
- Writing Skills: A great lawyer or legal assistant has excellent writing skills which are used in preparing compelling arguments, briefs, motions, and other legal documents.